White Bear Lake Area Schools partners with external organizations in a variety ways to provide additional learning opportunities and services to students. A community partner is a group or organization who provides services or programming to students within the district.
Partnerships must be a benefit to students. Typically, a benefit will fall into at least one of the following categories:
Literacy and Numeracy Improvements
Character Education and Development
Creative Expression and/or Environmental education
Career/College Readiness Skills
Cooperative Learning Skills
Critical Thinking Skills
If you are interested in exploring a potential partnership please contact the principal of the school with which you are interested in partnering or the Superintendent's Office (at 651-407-7563 or by email
) if you are interested in pursuing a district-wide partnership.
List of District Partnerships
- Individual schools and programs partner with local businesses and organizations. The partnerships often are highlighted in our Community e-Newsletters. Find story archives here
- In our continued efforts to improve student learning and opportunities, our secondary schools are working with Century College to improve college readiness and increase concurrent enrollment options. The partnership received a Local Government Innovation Award from the University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute in 2015.
- The district partners with our ten municipalities to provide year-round recreational programs and athletic activities for the whole community through the Community Education and Recreation Program.
EQUITY ALLIANCE MN
- The district's involvement in Equity Alliance MN offers inter-district partnerships and support for student and educators. The partnership coordinates students and educator programs.
HANGZHOU FOREIGN LANGUAGES SCHOOL
- White Bear Lake Area Schools partners with Hangzhou Foreign Languages School, located in Hangzhou, China, for teacher and cultural exchanges. Teachers serve residencies in each school.
INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE PARTNERSHIPS
- WBLAHS partners with schools in Meaux, France and Leipzig, Germany to provide international exchange experiences for students in German and French world language programs.
- The district works with Lakeshore Players, a highly regarded community theater based in White Bear Lake, to provide after-school classes and workshops for students.
MACPHAIL CENTER FOR MUSIC
- Birch Lake Elementary partners with MacPhail Center for Music to offer an enhanced music program including piano and violin. Additional after-school and weekend music lesson opportunities are offered to the whole community.
TAMARACK NATURE CENTER
- Otter Lake, Vadnais Heights and Willow Lane Elementary Schools and Central and Sunrise Park Middle Schools partner with Tamarack Nature Center to provide students with experiential learning on environmental issues. Tamarack also serves as a program site for the Early Childhood Program's "My Nature Preschool," which expanded during the 2015-16 academic year.
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
- White Bear schools have been identified as exemplary training sites for future teachers. Through the Teacher Education Redesign Initiative (TERI), the University of Minnesota has designated four district schools as Professional Development Sites and provided additional resources for teachers and students.
VADNAIS SPORTS CENTER
- The Vadnais Sports Center serves as the home arena for the boys' and girls' high school hockey teams.
- Community volunteers provide important mentoring, math and reading help and classroom support. Families actively support students through parent-teacher organizations.
WHITE BEAR CENTER FOR THE ARTS
- Every elementary student receives six lessons annually through a partnership with the White Bear Center for the Arts. The partnership received a Local Government Innovation Award from the University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute in 2010.
WHITE BEAR LAKE AREA EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION
- The Foundation supports our schools with the help of local businesses, alumni, and community members. The Foundation provides teaching grants, scholarships, fellowships for teachers; an Angel Fund and Closet clothing donation for families with special economic needs; and works closely with the White Bear Lake Area Alumni Association.
- Through a partnership with the YMCA, elementary students receive water safety lessons during the school year. Extended Day participants receive summer swimming lessons. The YMCA serves as the home pool for our girls' and boys' swimming and diving teams and as a site for an outreach teen and senior center. The district also partners with the Y on a childcare center at Birch Lake Elementary and on after school tutoring opportunities at district elementary schools.